This Advice was Last Updated 3 months ago.
Discord ☍ is a free chat service popular among gamers. It is a multi-level communication platform. One of its most unique features is its bots. The bots on Discord are valuable artificial intelligence performing practical automated tasks.
They also perform commands on your server. These commands are inclusive of welcoming new members, banning rule breakers, and moderating content. Bot commands are also used to add music, games, memes, and other fun content to your server!
Discord bots can take your experience on Discord to a new level if you are looking for new ways to interact with other members on the server. Thus, learning how to use bots becomes relatively essential to maximize the experience.
This article will tell you how to add bots to Discord and what are the best Discord bots to use in your server.
Looking for more great guides ☍ ? Check out all our articles on this topic.
Bots on Discord add a lot of functionality to your server. Bots offer tons of fun activities that you can do with members of the server. If you’re wondering what it’s going to take to add a Discord bot to your server, don’t worry!
You don’t have to be a super coder to add bots to your Discord server. We will show you how to add bots to a Discord server and make the server more fun.
What Are Bots?
In plain words, bots are computer programs that interact with other bots and human beings to perform functions automatically. A classic example of a bot is a helpful chat window that opens up on a website to talk to you.
Bots can be helpful or annoying, depending upon how they appear. Discord provides an extensive range of bots that you can add to your server to make it more fun and unique. Before we think about how to add Discord bots, let’s think about finding a good bot!
How To Find A Good Bot?
Discord offers thousands of freely available bots. Carbonitex ☍ website is one such website that offers serious bots. It has one of the best collections of Discord bots. If you want to browse for more, you can head to the Discord Bots website ☍.
If you are way too advanced in your knowledge, you can always search for Discord bots on GitHub. It will get you everything that the general public can view.
Now that we have a couple of bots to add in mind, let’s talk about adding bots to a Discord server. Adding bots to the Discord server might seem like a complicated process when you do it for the first time. However, it becomes effortless once you get the hang of it.
The answer to ‘how to add bots to Discord’ is quite simple – you will need to be an administrator of the server to which you want to add the bots. Here are the steps that you need to follow:
- Go to your Discord home page ☍
- On the upper left side, click on the server that you want to activate admin access
- After selecting this, a drop-down menu that appears
- On the drop-down, click on ‘Server Settings’
- Next, click on the ‘Roles’ tab on the left side, and after that on the ‘Default Permissions’ tab
- Choose ‘@everyone’ and scroll all the way down to ‘Advanced Permission’ Settings
- Toggle Administrator on
- Save the changes
You will see an ‘Invite’ or ‘Add Bot’ button, based on the source website of the bot that you have chosen. To explain this step, we will add the Dyno Bot ☍.
Follow these steps and add the Discord bot:
- Go to Dyno Bot ☍
- You have two options available ‘Add To Server’ if you have a preferred server for this bot, or simply ‘Login with Discord’
- Next, log in using your Discord details and authorize the bot by clicking on the authorize button
- If you want to add the bot to a certain server, first choose your server
- Now just click on ‘Continue’
After doing this, all you have to do is follow the prompts. The prompts will provide you a series of permissions and will also seek administrator access. This is why the first step is essential.
After this, you have to authorize the permissions of the bot, followed by completing the captcha.
If you have taken a different route to add a bot, fear not! They may differ in their process, but the prompts will make it easy to install the bots. All you have to do is follow the instructions.
Making The Bot Work
Now that you know how to add bots to a Discord server, it is time to make the bot work! Each bot comes with a series of commands that you can use in your server to get the bot to perform various tasks.
Some bots will take you through a tutorial in the server where it was added. On the other hand, you will have to look for the functions of some bots on the internet. However, using the Discord bot text command is relatively easy.
Here is what you have to do to use a bot command on Discord:
- Type it in the text box given on a text channel
- Press enter
After this, the bot will send you a prompt if there are any follow-up commands on Discord.
You will notice that removing bots from your Discord server is more straightforward than adding them. Follow these steps to remove a bot from your server:
- Right-click on the name of the bot given under the member list of the server
- If you want to ban the bot permanently from your server, click on ‘ban’
- If you want only to remove the bot, you can click on ‘kick’
There you go; your bot has disappeared!
Want To Add A Welcome Bot To Your Discord Server? Here It Is!
Trust us; you do not need to be a genius to add a bot that is simple automation to your server. Adding bots on a Discord server is fun, and it makes your server unique. Adding a welcome bot increases interaction and makes your server a little more personalized.
We are here to help you with how to add bots on Discord that welcome you. Let’s see how to add a MEE6 welcome bot to your server:
- Go to the MEE6 ☍ bot dashboard
- Click the button ‘Add to Discord’
- Enter your login to verify your Discord account
- Authorize the permission of a pop-up that asks you for it
- Click on ‘Set up MEE6’ right next to the name of your server
- Now a pop-up window will appear
- Select your server and then click ‘Continue.’
- Now you can choose the permissions that you want to give to the bot
- Click ‘Authorize’ after scrolling down
Now that you have given authorization to MEE6, you will be given options about the kind of bot that you want to create. So, if you’re going to make a welcome bot, you have to:
- Go to MEEE6 dashboard ☍ and select a server
- Click on the option that says ‘welcome.’
- Select what you want your bot to do. For example – do you want your bot to send a direct message to new users or give a Discord role to the new user. You have to select a Discord channel for your bot to use.
- You can now pick the color and the font that your bot will use to send these messages (if you have the Premium plan)
- Don’t forget to click on ‘Save’ when you are done
There you have it! Your very own welcome bot. If you want to remove this bot, you can follow the steps given above. Adding a bot can considerably enhance your server and make it more professional.
There are a lot of bots available on Discord. There are also a lot of Discord bots that are available on GitHub ☍. The methods to add these bots vary from bot to bot.
If you want to add some of the popular Discord bots, here is a list of what they are and what they do:
- Groovy ☍ – this is a Discord music bot that supports Soundcloud, YouTube, and Spotify
- MedalBot – this bot lets the users on your server record clips
- Dank Member ☍ – this bot displays memes and provides an extensive range of other features related to memes
- Discord Translator ☍ – this bot is multilingual and gives instant translation between over 100 languages
- RickBot ☍ – this bot gives you soundboards
- Nadeko ☍ – this bot lets you play games and has administration tools
- Pancake ☍ – this bot is a simple bot with multiple features, can be used as a moderation bot, or for playing music
- Mantaro ☍ – this bot is a fun customizable bot
- Cathy Chat Bot ☍ – this is an artificial intelligence (AI) chatbot for the Discord web server.
Given the fact that it’s so easy to use, Discord has a total of 140 million monthly users. Not only that, managing the servers on Discord is easy.
Discord has proven to be good at what it aims to do. However, there is always scope for improvement. You can do this by adding bots. Since you now know how to add bots to Discord, get ready to make the experience better for the Discord user!